new build pc wont work

pam39 01:52 20 Jul 09

I have just built a new pc; asus P5Q-E mob, psu is 650w, graphics card GTX 275. When i plug it in and turn on no power to pc but my sockets in the house trip. My very first build and gonna cry soon.

ambra4 03:51 20 Jul 09

Make sure that the motherboard is not shorting to the case

Double-check all the wiring to the motherboard is correct

The power supply unit is connected correctly to the motherboard and the voltage

is set to 240volts

Double-check that the CPU is fitted in the socket correct and the heat sink and

fan is also fitted correct

gigagiggles 05:25 20 Jul 09

hello.

perspiration, not tears.

persevere. persist. and enjoy the process.

anyways. after following ambra4's advice, (i assume the 240 volts is appropriate to your region of the world!) and you made no adjustments (you did everything correctly), start with the electrical circuitry in the house. eliminate the ac outlet as the cause. since tripping is still a possibility, make sure delicate or expensive electronics are unplugged or surge protected. try a different ac outlet far away from the one that tripped, preferably without other electrical appliances plugged in nearby.

skidzy 07:37 20 Jul 09

Sound advice above,though i would start from the psu lead itself if the wall socket is ok.

Assuming the wall socket is fine,first check as Ambra says...that you are switched to 240v (if uk) on the psu itself (back of the tower).

If thats ok,substitute the power cord from the psu to the wall socket with a known working one.If the problem persists,you now know its internal and will be a matter of elimination.

One of the first things to check is again as Ambra says,check the motherboard is not shorten out against the case....remove the motherboard and lay on a piece of card,this can be done normally while the connections are still in place.
But do remove the power source from the wall while you do this.

ened 08:06 20 Jul 09

I have built a few for myself and had minor problems with all of them.

I nearly always find it is something I have done wrong or overlooked.

After checking the socket as mentioned above I would suggest stripping the whole thing and starting from scratch.

That is unless you see something obvious as you are stripping it.

Although I have never had this particular problem I have resolved situations in this way without ever really discovering what the problem was in the first place.

No need to get upset you will sort it out!

pam39 19:51 20 Jul 09

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I will try all your suggestions and hopefully fix the problem. Determined to get this pc up and running. Thanks again to all of you.

howard64 09:21 21 Jul 09

I would suggest all the above but disconnect the wiring from the psu so that the psu is just sitting in the case. If you still get the tripping it is a faulty psu. What you do not say is whether your RCD is tripping or the local circuit breaker. The RCD is the one with the test trip switch that you are meant to test roughly monthly. The RCD is what used to be known as an earth leakage circuit breaker and literally trips very quickly at less than 0.03 of an Ampere. If it is this you definitely have a leak to earth and possibly have one of the studs supporting the motherboard in the wrong place. Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced