new build pc wont start

clayton 21:27 12 Feb 03

Hi ive just built a new pc with a gigabyte GA-7VR Motherboard 128mb pc2700 crucial memory Athlon 1700xp processor Maxtor 40gb hard drive & i can get the pc to work the power light comes on the cpu fan spins foe a second & thats it, any ideas what it could be, it wouldnt have anything to do with an old agp card im using ??? thanks for any help

redelf 22:31 12 Feb 03

click here
This is an excellent site for advice on homebuilds and includes good problem checking suggestions.

goonerbill 01:04 13 Feb 03

sounds like ya psu. what is the power out put ?? 250/300/350/400 watt ???

clayton 01:57 13 Feb 03

350w antec psu

goonerbill 11:10 13 Feb 03

psu should be ok. try booting pc with only cpu + heatsink/fan, memory, graphics card and hard drive with mouse and keyboard. remove all other items connected or cards installed. also, silly question, do you have cable to hard drive connected the correct way. also on bootup do you get any beeps ??

nahbadboy 11:35 13 Feb 03

I had this problem when i built mine, the reason was the front panel connectors that connect to the motherboard were fitted on in the wrong place. Check to see if yours are connected in the right place, your manual should help.

Hope this helps.

PA28 11:51 13 Feb 03

Are you saying that your CPU fan spins for a second and then stops? So no power is reaching your motherboard? If this is the case then I would be tempted to check the power connectors and also make sure that you have no shorts to earth from the motherboard.

©®@$ђ 12:14 13 Feb 03

make sure the cmos jumper on the motherboard is in the correct position, also try clearing it aswell it will tell you how to do it in your manual.

clayton 20:42 13 Feb 03

ive just changed the psu & the pc starts but i get 3 long beeps & no display @ all on the monitor.

y_not 21:33 13 Feb 03
  clayton 09:54 15 Feb 03

pc works with memory in second slot, thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…