New build PC HDD partitions

Chelonian 11:03 10 Apr 10

I've been told that on a new PC build it's good practice to put Windows into a separate HDD partition from data.

I understand the reason for this advice but is there any benefit (or problem) with putting, say, drivers and applications onto separate HDD partitions too?

I can't find specific information online so any links, advice or opinions will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:51 10 Apr 10

Drivers - will be in the windows system folders so only a backup is required/ preferable in a separate partition.

Applications - I never (if possible) allow applications to in stall to the default c:\program files\??? I always put on a separate partition.

This allows me to keep the C: partition small and therefore makes it quick and easy to make a back up / restore an image of this partition. If windows fails I can restore the image and be working again in less than 10 minutes.

Batch 21:59 10 Apr 10

Have to say that I think OS and pgms should be on same partition (if using Windows). The reason is that pgm installs make numerous changes to the registry and often entries in the Windows folders and so restoring an OS partition without the pgms or vice versa seems to be asking for trouble.

In any event the OS & pgms together shouldn't be that massive (I have 3 PCs and the largest backup image I have of such a partition is approx 3.5GB and only takes a few minutes to restore).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…