new build pc

Smokeyone 06:37 18 Jun 05

I would appreciate anyones views on these three items before I spend the cash.

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego socket 939
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum socket 939 Nforce 3
Sapphire Radeon X800XL

This lot comes to over £500. Is there a better option for the same sort of money.

Thanks
Smokeyone

leo49 07:19 18 Jun 05

I still don't get the point of paying first-adopter premium prices for 64-bit cpu/mobos [your proposed CPU alone at Ebuyer is £226!]until there's a 64-bit OS and software to run on it - especially as by the time Longhorn lumbers over the horizon the newly released dual-core processors or more likely the next as yet unknown 'big thing' will be the new cutting edge.

Less than £200 will buy an XP3200+ cpu,a top of the range MSI Delta2 Platinum mobo AND 2gb crucial ram. Add whatever super-dooper graphics card you desire and I doubt you'll see any difference in performance.

961 10:39 18 Jun 05

Yes I agree with that. No need to spend that sort of money unless you are into the latest games

Perhaps you could say what the computer will be used for

clayton 14:13 18 Jun 05

Wouldnt you also be better of with a Nforce 4 mobo as some if not all will support the new dual core processors.

Jingle Jangle 10:36 13 Feb 06

Hi, everyone,

I am a developer who is not commited to any particular platform though I like Unix best. This will be the seventh machine I have built. I want my new one to be able to run Windows XP, Tiger on the Mac and Unix. Not asking for too much really.... This is the kit I am thinking of putting together,

ECS KN1 SLI Motherboard Skt 939 nForce4 SLI 2000FSB DDR400 Sound LAN ATX
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz Microprocessor - Venice core, HyperTransportTM technology, SSE3, 512K Cache
1GB DDR-2 667MHZ
HDD 160GB, Samsung, SerialATA, 7200, 8192k
GeForce 6600LE SLI Ready Video Card, 256MB,128bit, PCI Express
ATX 350W case + powerSupply 350W
NEC Black DVDRW

Do people think this will work? Obviously budget is an issue. If I could make some savings without sacrificing too much in overall performance, that would be a bonus.

I hate noisy machines. The KN1 has an itsy bitsy fan. But the AMD Athlon 64 3200 uses 90nm technology and should not generate too much heat. So I am wondering if it can be disconnected or if there is some chunky low speed fan on acoustically damped rubber mounts that I could use instead?

I am shortly to become a dad so Ii shall be on the hunt for the coolest stuff for ultra newbies! Tips please!

Jingle Jangle

clayton 11:24 13 Feb 06

First there are a few motherboards about that dont have onboard chipset fans have a look @ the Asus & Gigabyte websites.
Also your motherboard is an AMD board & it wont take DDR-2 memory tkae a look here & see what will fit your board.
click here

I would also go for a more powerful power supply.

bananaslik 17:34 13 Feb 06

i think i would rethink on the power supply,350w is old hand & ptting that inside a tower with those specs,well i think your asking for trouble

Totally-braindead 17:44 13 Feb 06

Jingle Jangle you should have started your own thread not hijacked Smokeyones.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…