New Build, Old Hard Drive

Cantillion 12:50 04 Apr 03

Just built a new PC, but wanted to save money by taking a 120GB Hard drive from one of my old ones. This had around about 60GB of data which I wanted to keep, so I created a Formatted 15GB NTFS partition at the start of the drive.

PC booted first time, no probs, but couldn't get an OS to install (winXP). Tried Fdisk, deleted the partion, added it, tried to format in DOS... couldn't. Took 120GB out, installed a spare 15GB harddrive, formated to FAT32, installed win 98 no probs.

What did I do wrong with the 120GB??? I used Partition Magic to create the partition. What is the best way to partition a drive to install an OS on the first partition???

Lozzy 12:54 04 Apr 03

Did you have the settings in the BIOS set correctly?? To cover 120gig HDD's

medicine hat 13:02 04 Apr 03

What error message did WinXP give you when you tried to install it?

Cantillion 13:04 04 Apr 03

Would that be a problem? Thinking about it, no matter if there's a drive present, I should still be able to boot from the CD ROM, should I not? I installed win 98 by booting from the floppy.

Have a P4G8X and set the boot order as CDROM first. Maybe its merely cos I can't boot from the CD - and you can't install XP from DOS.

Cantillion 13:07 04 Apr 03

On reflection, I had comepletely overlooked the fact that I couldn't boot from the CD. That must be my problem. PC Posts, then the CD is accessed (disc spins), but then I get a blank screen asking to reboot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…