new build- motherboard install - spacers

llollipoppi 21:59 08 Jul 08

Hi, this is the first time I have completed a new build and I confused where the spacers go.

My case only came with 2 brass ones

the mounting holes in the case are risen, so when I screw one of these brass things in, the M/B doesnt line up witht he backing plate,

Any help please:(:(

Quiller. 22:05 08 Jul 08

Don't use them. If you look at the motherboard you will see the mounting holes and metal isolaters that runs around them. Just line them up with the cases holes and gently screw it down. If unsure consult the manual that will tell which mounting holes.

I have never used any stand off's for over 10 years.

llollipoppi 22:09 08 Jul 08

What a relief you have just given me!, so the board just goes straight in and lines up perfectly.

The actual board didnt come with screws or brass stand offs - these came with the case.

But in reading up it says u need to use them or u short out the board, so will it be okay? Am I making sense?

Didnt get a manual with the case

Quiller. 22:20 08 Jul 08

"The actual board didnt come with screws or brass stand offs - these came with the case."

They always do.

"But in reading up it says u need to use them or u short out the board, so will it be okay? "

Yes. Modern motherboards come with an isolator around every mounting screw hole to stop any shorts.

have you the make and model of your motherboard?

llollipoppi 22:23 08 Jul 08

CASE: OEM - Foxconn S-809 Micro ATX Midi Tower PC Case (Black/Silver)

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2 (rev 1.0) Motherboard AMD Athlon 64 FX Socket AM2 AMD 690V Micro ATX RAID Gigabit LAN

So am I just lining up the board with the mounting holes in the case and then screwing them in without these brass spacers?

Thanks for your advice

Laurie:)

Quiller. 22:38 08 Jul 08

"So am I just lining up the board with the mounting holes in the case and then screwing them in without these brass spacers?"

Thats correct.

Your motherboard manual click here

Quiller. 22:45 08 Jul 08

When you slide in the motherboard. You will find it fits snugly onto the cases chassis. So it rests on the mounting holes. The I\O plate ( usb + PS2 etc ) at the rear will then fit snugly through the back of the case to be an exact match.

If you used stand off's the whole thing would not fit. The I\O plate would not go through the rears I\O door.

Stand offs used to be used on old AT machines that took 240V into the case and for cases whose mounting holes did not match the motherboard. Modern cases are standersized so that all motherboards of simmilar size fit.

I am Spartacus 22:50 08 Jul 08

You may have been building different systems to me but all my recent builds have required standoffs fitted to the case.

Quiller. 22:56 08 Jul 08

Your motherboard has 8 securing holes click here

I am Spartacus

The curvature of the mounting holes on the cases chassis produces the natural clearance for the motherboard against the case.

llollipoppi 23:01 08 Jul 08

"When you slide in the motherboard. You will find it fits snugly onto the cases chassis. So it rests on the mounting holes. The I\O plate ( usb + PS2 etc ) at the rear will then fit snugly through the back of the case to be an exact match."

The motherboard fits in this way.

I have screwed the board in with 4 screws (gently)

Howvere there are two holes where I could put stand offs in that would not misalign the board. So put them in or leave them out?

I'm thinking if I was to use them - would it not be the case that a stand off would have to be used for every mounting position?

Once again thanks for your help

llollipoppi 23:03 08 Jul 08

I can only use 6 of the holes or i would have to get deeper screws, do you think I should mount all 6 or just leave it at 4, it seems pretty secure?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now