New build and HDD Mode IDE, AHCI or RAID

Audio~~Chip 14:58 12 Sep 10

Hello
The following are all new parts
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-E
WinXP Pro 32bit
1x Samsung HD502J 500GB

For my HDD, in the BIOS I have the options of IDE, AHCI or RAID I don't want any partitions but do want the best possible installation of windows XP Pro 32bit.

I know there are advantages but not really sure of AHCI & RAID for XP which is best. Remember I only want to have 1 partition.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:04 12 Sep 10

ACHI makes sata drve appear as IDE for older opsystems . this is what you need if installing XP as XP setup will beable to find he sata drive.

Audio~~Chip 15:14 12 Sep 10

Do I need ot install a special AHCI driver for xp and is this like the F6 or can it be installed within XP once installed

Cheers

I am Spartacus 15:21 12 Sep 10

You have to install the AHCI drivers before you start the installation of XP and need to use a floppy as you can't use a USB stick. If you use nLite I think you can slipstream the setup to include AHCI but it's a while since I did it and can't remember for sure. You can't install them later and switch to AHCI mode. The only benefit I've seen of AHCI mode is that you can hotswap hard disks, there's been no performance advantages that I could detect.

With WIndows 7 you can retrospectively install the AHCI drivers and then switch from IDE emulation mode although it does require registry tweaking.

Audio~~Chip 15:29 12 Sep 10

So that makes IDE mode on Sata be equal in performance by the way you say that, I don't have a Floppy connector on the P6X58D-E

I won't be loosing out on speed then its just I won't have the capabilty of Hot Swapping SATA drives but I don't need that.

Batch 15:34 12 Sep 10

For a fresh install of XP Home on my Acer netbook, I slipstreamed the text mode Sata drivers (needed for teh install itself to work) and the main Sata drivers into an XP Install pack and then put it all on a bootable pen drive to do the install. It was long winded and quite a learning curve, but it worked.

The following may also help.

click here

click here

Audio~~Chip 15:38 12 Sep 10

I have not installed XP Pro yet its a new build. From what I am reading the performance difference for AHCI is not impressive

Does any one agree is not impressive on XP using AHCI ?

I am Spartacus 16:02 12 Sep 10

It's not impressive on Win7 either unless you need to hot swap hard drives.

Audio~~Chip 16:06 12 Sep 10

Will stick to IDE setting on my SATA.

gazzaho 16:32 12 Sep 10

I have a hot swap caddy setup using AHCI and it's great for backing up using Acronis, it backs up my C: drive far quicker than through external USB plus you don't have to delve into the nuts and bolts to add a new drive when needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…