New build CD-RW problems

pinka 21:19 20 Mar 04

hi,
ive just finished putting a system together for somebody, ive installed windows xp pro, when i try to install the chipset drivers i get the following error 'D: is not a valid win32 application', this happens with every disc i insert, except for xp. anyone have any ideas ?
thanks in advance

woodchip 21:35 20 Mar 04

It sounds like it's looking for the XP disc all the time. Have you tried looking at the CD from Start\Run Browse the cd

woodchip 21:37 20 Mar 04

Or right click on Start go Explore and click on the drive in Explorer and look for setup file

pinka 22:33 20 Mar 04

its alittle late now, so will have a go in the morning and post back.

pinka 10:56 21 Mar 04

I can see the contents of the cd, but when i try to run setup i get the 'not a valid win32 application' error, i get the same when i try to run any executable off the drive, im wondering now if i have a duff drive, but if it is how is it installing windows ? this ones really bugging me now, anymore ideas ?

woodchip 17:58 21 Mar 04

No it's some thing to do with what XP as done it's not your CD drive or XP would not be recognised

pinka 18:22 21 Mar 04

ive installed a cdrom temporarily, and that is working, so i may have a go trying it as the slave, if it still doesnt work ill set it up on my internet connection and see if windows update sorts it.

woodchip 21:32 21 Mar 04

Have a look in Device Manager at the CDRW and make sure DMA is disabled NO TICK IN THE BOX

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…