New build CD-RW problems

pinka 21:19 20 Mar 04

hi,
ive just finished putting a system together for somebody, ive installed windows xp pro, when i try to install the chipset drivers i get the following error 'D: is not a valid win32 application', this happens with every disc i insert, except for xp. anyone have any ideas ?
thanks in advance

woodchip 21:35 20 Mar 04

It sounds like it's looking for the XP disc all the time. Have you tried looking at the CD from Start\Run Browse the cd

woodchip 21:37 20 Mar 04

Or right click on Start go Explore and click on the drive in Explorer and look for setup file

pinka 22:33 20 Mar 04

its alittle late now, so will have a go in the morning and post back.

pinka 10:56 21 Mar 04

I can see the contents of the cd, but when i try to run setup i get the 'not a valid win32 application' error, i get the same when i try to run any executable off the drive, im wondering now if i have a duff drive, but if it is how is it installing windows ? this ones really bugging me now, anymore ideas ?

woodchip 17:58 21 Mar 04

No it's some thing to do with what XP as done it's not your CD drive or XP would not be recognised

pinka 18:22 21 Mar 04

ive installed a cdrom temporarily, and that is working, so i may have a go trying it as the slave, if it still doesnt work ill set it up on my internet connection and see if windows update sorts it.

woodchip 21:32 21 Mar 04

Have a look in Device Manager at the CDRW and make sure DMA is disabled NO TICK IN THE BOX

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch