New build - Boot Problem

craig367 13:42 02 Mar 05

First time builder & PC won't boot. Got mobo bundle from overclockers.Intel P4 Prescott 3.0Ghz cpu * MSI 865PE Neo2-P socket 478 mobo & 2*256MB RAM. Also have a FX6600GT graphics card, sata drive & dvdR/RW.When I power on, a black screen appears & tells me to press shift+F10 to enter set-up.A further black screen appears whether I shift+F10 or not which keeps flashing on+off with the following:
'For Realtek RTL81105/81695 Gigabit Ethernet Controller v1.01 (030820)'
'PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable'
'PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM'.
Can anyone advise please?

Jeffers22 13:57 02 Mar 05

Would I be right in thinking the mobo has on board LAN? If so it seems as if there is a problem with it. (or with a PCI LAN card if that is what you have) Could be anything from drivers to an actual hardware (Realtek chip) fault or indeed with the mobo connection to said chip. If you can boot to safe mode using the XP CD try disabling the on board LAN for all profiles and then reboot and see what happens.

Jeffers22 13:58 02 Mar 05

First thing to try is entering bios and diabling on board LAN from there. Sorry, should have said this first.

Yoda Knight 14:27 02 Mar 05

A Google on ur m/b make reveals it is onboard lan - which would indicate a hardware failure to me...

craig367 14:57 02 Mar 05

Sorry, should have said - Yes mobo has onboard LAN - no PCI cards attached at the moment.

powerless 15:06 02 Mar 05

You'll have to read the mobo manual for the specifics but go into the BIOS and check what has been set to boot.

ie. HDD, CD-ROM, Floppy, or network boot.

Change this to CD-ROM and save the changes. You should then get it booting from the CD-ROM [XP?]

'Media test failure, check cable' - It's trying to boot from the network me thinks.

craig367 09:25 03 Mar 05

Ok feel REALLY stupid now. Thanks for your replies folks.
If I had just plugged the keyboard into the keyboard port & not the mouse port!!!!!!!
That should give you a laugh. PC now up & running & working perfectly. At least I can console myself with the fact that I DID build it right, eh!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…