New build - black-screen problem

daba 00:01 05 Jan 04

After a Mobo exchange, to a Elite K7S5A, AMD Athlon 1250MHz, 512MB RAM, I needed a graphics adaptor with this mobo, so bought an NVIDIA g-force 4 MX440-8x

I am getting an occasional "black screen", which only a reboot (properly if I can remember the correct shut-down/restart key presses) will cure.

I'm running Win 98SE.

I updated to latest drivers for the graphics card as soon as it was installed.

I have disabled power management., and screen savers.

Does anyone have an opinion as to which component could cause the 'black-screen' problem ?

woodchip 00:09 05 Jan 04

Switch of comp and make sure the Graphics card is pushed full in, also check the monitor cable is connected fulliy, check for bent pins incable and graphis card sockets

daba 00:18 05 Jan 04

Checkad all of that Woodchip, even tried new cable after first occurrance.

As I say it is intermittent, about once every 2 to 3 days, and seems to only happen after the PC has been "unused" for a long period. I say "unused" like that because the PC is on 24/7, and it is never actually unused, because UD steals all the spare CPU capacity.

I've re-fiddled with power-managemant settings and I'll see how it goes. The next thing is to disabled UD. etc. etc.

I was hoping someone could definitively say "graphics card fault" or "driver issue" or "mobo issue" or whatever.

Hopefully the system may 'settle-in' as its only been rebuilt since 22/12/03.

I'll post back if it never happens again (duh ??)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…