New Build Ath64 not making it thru POST

Timmy!! 15:23 20 Oct 04

I've just built this new pc (See below) and all seemed to work fine at first. XP Pro installed fine, got all the Live Updates incl latest BIOS (1.8) and rebooted many times after this, installed some progs and all worked fine.

The Sound Blaster was however a late edition swiped from an old machine (works fine in that), which I fitted and seemed to XP self install drivers fine. Upon restarting however got blue screen and registry corruption. Decided to just format and start again as i was in no rush.

Again worked fine until the SB was detected, restarted and now it won't even get past POST. The MSI DBracket sticks on 'Real Time Clock'. This i suspect means it needs a new CMOS battery but surely not on a week old MOBO?

I've tried:

Removing Sound Card
1 DIMM at a time
Different AGP cards 1.5v & 3v varieties (don't have a PCI Graph)
Nothing but RAM CPU & Graphics card
every time clearing CMOS, jumper and batt removal

...all to no avail.

Any thoughts. I've read a few things about the Athlon64's huge power demands but i don't know what to believe.

Anyone have any advice? Sending the MOBO back is my current plan.

My Full Setup:
MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R SKT 754 K8T800
AMD (Newcastle) Athlon 64bit 3400+
XFX GeForce 6800 GT 256MB
Kingston 1GB 400MHz DDR (2x512)
2 x Western Digital 160GB SATA
Creative SB 5.1 Platinum
500w Silentmaxx Fanless PSU

Diemmess 16:16 20 Oct 04

If you can somehow get into safe mode and be ready to update the SB drivers with the latest from the Creative web site it might be enough.

I would not worry about the CMOS battery until the SB card behaves properly.

Timmy!! 16:19 20 Oct 04

I can't get through the POST sequence at all so no chance of safe mode.

buscrew 16:22 20 Oct 04

I have a similar set up to you. and my SB live 5.1 works well. Just a thought, if you have onboard sound, have you disabled it in BIOS as sometimes it causes conflicts, even if set to AUTO.

My Setup Gigabyte K8NSPro, AMD 64 3400+, 1gig Kingston RAM (400Mht DDR) ATI Radeon 9800XT, so you can see not a graet deal of difference.

Timmy!! 16:27 20 Oct 04

Hmm i don't think the Sblaster is that much of an issue. Even having the problem with the card removed.

Diemmess 16:33 20 Oct 04

If the SB card is physically removed, while the computer is off...........

You say this is the SECOND time that installing the SB card has started the grief. If so that's my justification for persisting in blaming it.

Timmy!! 16:37 20 Oct 04

I agree the SB is the route of the problem but now the MOBO seems totally screwed up. Fixing that, with or without the SB is what i'm looking to do here.

I'm just wondering if the SB has merely highlighted a fault in either my setup or in the motherboard itself which would then need returning.

DoctorButcher 16:57 20 Oct 04

This may or may not help... click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…