New broadbend installation -E-mail account

jack 17:51 24 Oct 05

Last week I set up a broadband service for a friend,and he is a pleased as Punch with it.
When I got home I realised it did not set up his Mail account with the new ISP. Though I have mailed him instruction on his old dial up account- and he has recieved it-he is a little diffident about setting it up- so I may have to go back.
What I am pondering is this
He has his old PAG dial and is using it, but of course incurring a phone charge per connection on the 0845 number. Can he access his old dialup ISP
address and mail account via the BB link and thus save a phone charge- I know he could do it web wize,
but what about the 'normal' route?

johnnyrocker 17:55 24 Oct 05

i would have thought that all he needs to do is change the connection configuration in his current mail account properties and all should work as before i dont see any other changes being needed.

johnny.

Batch 18:08 24 Oct 05

Receiving mail on the old account should work as before, with no changes necessary in mail client (e.g. Outlook Express).

To send mail from the old account, it is normally necesary to change the SMTP server to the one specified by the new (BB) ISP. Then the mail under the guise of the old account gets routed out by the new ISP's SMTP server.

johnnyrocker 18:11 24 Oct 05

unless he has upgraded to broadband with current isp.

johnny.

jack 19:28 24 Oct 05

Thank you for those thoughts.
Something to work around when I get over there
The BB copnnection is a new ISP thus he now has 3 ISP's 2 dial up and BB,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…