new broadband speed

darthballs 10:44 13 Dec 07

i've just upgraded my virgin broadband ( yeah i know, virgin, but they came out with a good package!!) from 4mb to 20mb, i was hoping to get at least10, maybe 12, but currently getting5.5 t0 6 tops.
at the mo, the modem is plugged in via usb to usb. if i use the lan to lan (the pc says it as sis900 base pci fast internet adaptor) does anyone reckon this might help speed things up before i start whinging to virgin staff that try to mug me off!?!?!

cheerz,
darthballz

Fingees 11:15 13 Dec 07

How long have you been upgraded.
It can take up to 10 days continuous connection to broadband line for the speed to settle down.

Once the modem is turned off, it will start at a slower speed, and work up.

Unless of course Virgin use a different system.

Just a thought

birdface 11:19 13 Dec 07

Best place to look or even join.click here Join the queue of unhappy Virgin customers.

birdface 11:28 13 Dec 07

Have a browse through this,Hope you are not looking for a quick remedy. click here

darthballs 11:57 13 Dec 07

for the links guyz, ive only had the upgrade since yesterday, but i've got an engineer out te end of next week to install the tele v-box thingy, so if its slow still, i can mention it to him. i know its virgin, and ive seen lots of bad stuff about them, but i never had any reason to complain with my 4mb, so i'll give it chance yet.

my upload speeds not so bad, about 90-100 kbs, but that dont help much!!!

birdface 12:27 13 Dec 07

Tell him to change the Modem.You need a newer Modem to get the correct speed.[or better speed]

darthballs 12:45 13 Dec 07

yeah i thought that might be worth a try, pointless asking their online staff!

currently got a motorola sb5100, good modem , but probably a bit out dated, now, had it 4 years

cheerz

Sixosix 13:03 13 Dec 07

You are luckey to get any Virgin! My connection was off for the whole day yesterday - and by no means for the first time.

Killo Bite 13:34 18 Jan 08

My view, Better chipsets give better performance. I am not saying Sis chipsets don't work on Lan but using a Intel or VIA you will see a more responsive connection.

Talking speed, having good telephone connections in the house is the main importance, using ext phone cables are limiting. Rule is connect to a main socket or the main socket.

darthballs 08:41 19 Jan 08

when the engineer came out to install te v=box, te spedd went up, something to do with having the v+box in, my speeds are on average around 13-16, getting 18 at the most from when i've checked, but it does seem to slow down a lot more at peak times than when i was on 4meg, but on the whole, fairly happy with it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…