New broadband connection.

jtw 11:34 03 May 03

Have connected to Freeserve broadband and am having problems with speed of connection.
On my pc the download speed only reaches 100 or so kbps but when I installed the drivers etc on my laptop I was getting 456kbps. Both machines were using telephone extension leads, same usb modem, same sockets etc.
Am I not setting up something on the desctop to enable it to run and full speed?

Munkeysbum 12:57 03 May 03

Extension leads are notorious for slowing down connection speeds, sounds daft but it is true.

That said I have cable broadband shared by a laptop and a desktop on a wireless network via a router and the download speed on the laptop often drops to 60 kbps.

So with my limited experience I have found the larger the file to be downloaded the slower the connection.

I hope I have been of some help for you.

jtw 13:46 03 May 03

My point I suppose is why should I get different speeds on different machines with all the other variables constant?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…