//some 3rd party need geo

New to broadband

boon_intheuk 19:52 30 May 06

Hi, I have looked through previous threads about broadband but cannot find an answer.
I have just got Tiscali broadband, it is working fine.
I have a second computer that I would like to be able to access the internet, I do not want to go to the expense of a wireless router setup.
Can I just connect another usb broadband modem to it and use it as I do my main PC?
Also, I have my main PC connected via a bog standard tel line extension lead connected to the main tel socket, then I have the filter connected to that, then the usb modem connected to that, then the PC connected to that. Does the use of the bog standard tel line extension reduce the band width of the broadband? ( My PC connects at roughly 2,320,112 bps)
Thanks.

ed-0 19:57 30 May 06

" Can I just connect another usb broadband modem to it and use it as I do my main PC? "

Yes. But obviously you can only use one modem at a time. So it would be one machine connected to the net and one not connected. If you use a rj45 crossover cable and connected it to your network socket on both machines. You can share the internet connection.

The bog standard telephone line sounds as if it's working fine.

FatboySlim71 23:44 30 May 06

I have several friends who had a bog standard telephone line extension and they could not connect, as there modem could not detect the DSL signal, it was definitely the extension that was stopping it, as when they connected the modem directly into the telephone master socket, everything worked fine. The extension kit needs to have an RJ11 connector on it. There is a few different kinds on this site.

click here

terryf 23:48 30 May 06

I would cosider buying a router like the DG834 because not only does it have a firewall but you can also share files between your computers and both computers have instant independent access to bband

terryf 23:48 30 May 06

sorry cosider should be consider

boon_intheuk 14:42 31 May 06

Thank you all for that.
I have just been looking at wireless broadband routers on Ebay and a couple of the sellers state that the routers they are selling are not compatable with USB broadband modems, which is what I have.
If that is correct, how do I identify one that will work with said USB modem?
Thanks.

Stuartli 15:11 31 May 06

PCFriend is doing a Trust model for £19.99 in a stock clearing session:

click here

Dipso 15:53 31 May 06

There are very few routers with USB connectors and they tend be not much cheaper than some combined modem routers. The best advice would be to go for a combined modem router, something like the Netgear DG834 or the DG834G wireless version, would be fine and keep the USB modem for emergencies.

The Trust model only seems to have an ethernet connection so wouldn't be suitable.

Dipso 16:14 31 May 06

If you don't want to fork out around £60 for the wireless Netgear, there are a couple of sub £40 (exc del) ones click here and click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…