New to broadband

jjf72 13:09 21 Jan 04

My exchange has just ben enabled and am hoping to get BB access in a week or so.

Am new to this so would appreciate comments on the setup I'm proposing to use.

Currently have dial-up access through newish PC. Would like to also be able to use laptop for internet access. the existing cable from telephone point to PC follows a fairly tortuous route so want to leave that in place, have the supplied USB modem connected to PC then install wireless network to connect PC to laptop and allow Internet access for laptop.

Would this work ok?

I know I could get a wireless modem/router but don't want to spend too much just yet

Many, many thanks for any comments

Bagsey 13:33 21 Jan 04

I have a similar set up to yourself. I have gone for the cheap option and networked the two using a crossover cable. This works well, but I suppose it all depends on how far away from your PC the laptop is situated. I understand that some long cables are available but have no experience of their use.

jjf72 17:10 21 Jan 04

One last try

rambus 18:15 21 Jan 04

cables both crossover and straight thru are fine up to 100 meters. best place to buy is from a local cable suppliys or a local pc shop.

androski 18:25 21 Jan 04

i got the virgin BB package and got the modem for £15. I have now added my playstation to the computer with a crossover cable which works fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…