New base unit wanted - advice please

Whaty 07:44 27 Sep 05

I've decided that the time has come to upgrade my current computer. I'm quite happy with my monitor, keyboard, mouse and speaker set-up and I only have a budget of about £400 so I think the way to go is a new base unit.

I'm looking for competence rather than cutting-edge. I just want a reliable, good all-rounder with a reasonable turn of speed and a decent graphics card.

What should I be looking for, what do you think I can get for this money and where should I look?

Thanks in advance, Terry

Diodorus Siculus 08:01 27 Sep 05

Take a look at novatechs bare bones systems:

click here

TeaBee 08:20 27 Sep 05

Seconded!

jack 08:32 27 Sep 05

Tripleded too
Also buy MicroMart- a weekly maggie comes out Thursdays-The computerists Exchange and Mart

freaky 09:16 27 Sep 05

Bought a Base Unit for the Mrs in January from Novatech for about £400. Nice piece of kit and no problems so far. They give you the choice of it being supplied with the OPS pre-installed, or they supply it on disk. I chose the latter.

Diodorus Siculus 09:27 27 Sep 05

RE. the OS - buy the CD.

I enquired about buying the OS preinstalled on one of their laptops and was told that it came as a recovery disk; having the full CD is best.

Whaty 09:49 27 Sep 05

Thanks for the replies so far, I'll have a quick look at the Novatech site during my dinner hour. What sort of spec should I be looking for / can I expect for my money?

Freaky, would you mind letting me know what spec you managed to get?

Picking up on the other point, I would prefer to have the OS CD, how much extra am I likely to have to pay?

LILYROY 10:01 27 Sep 05

Get one from click here

spuds 10:03 27 Sep 05

Novatech sell Microsoft XP Home for £63.11, and XP Pro for £100.57. Both are OEM and have SP2 included. You may get these a little cheaper from Ebuyer.

freaky 11:07 27 Sep 05

She has all the information in her office (somewhere!). Once she has found it, then I will make a post with the details.

pj123 15:48 27 Sep 05

Don't know where you live but give this site a try. All prices are plus postage.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…