New to AVG free software

Boy Zone 19:20 24 Mar 05

Hi,

Having unistalled Norton A/v 2004 software, I then downloaded AVG free s/w.
Simply question, how do I know its working in the background, sometimes the icon is in the tray and sometimes it's not, only way to get the icon is to open the avg control manager. I don't mind not having the icon there, but I want assurance that AVG is working.

Halmer 20:39 24 Mar 05

I've never known my AVG icon not to be there so can't really help sorry.

What version of Windows?

Boy Zone 20:50 24 Mar 05

XP home

march 20:54 24 Mar 05

Hello Boy Zone

if you open AVG & click on 'control centre' then close the windows does the icon appear again on the taskbar?

Technotiger 20:54 24 Mar 05

Hi, I assume you are talking about AVG7, many of us here use it, so it is well tried and tested. I would suggest that you set it to do a full check each day at say 8am, keep it updated by checking daily while on-line and don't worry about it, it will be doing it's job without you noticing most of the time.
You should also have Ad-Aware click here also free and to be kept up-to-date while on-line with regular checks, and Zone Alarm firewall too from click here

Cheers and Happy Easter

Halmer 21:04 24 Mar 05

not just 'hiding' so that you can reveal it by 'pressing' the little < on your taskbar?

Strawballs 23:08 24 Mar 05

I used AVG free version for years no problem if you want a good firewall I recomend McAfee that is free with this months PCA.

Halmer 09:48 25 Mar 05

for the record

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…