New AVG 8.0.100 and 'Warnings'

Halmer 20:30 25 Apr 08

I've installed the new version 8 of AVG and after a scan, whilst there are no infections there are loads on the warning tab (500) such as Coolwebsearch for example.

The options are 'Remove Selected Infections' or 'Remove all Unhealed Infections' but I can't believe for one minute that I have this many problems!

Does anyone else get similar and if so what have you done please?

Jak_1 20:32 25 Apr 08

What it is showing are not viruses but malware. Simply let avg remove or use your other antimalware progs to clear them.

Halmer 20:34 25 Apr 08

all the other stuff I run (Adaware, Spybot, A2 etc etc) picks nothing up and yet AVG picks 500 up in the registry.

sjbell 20:36 25 Apr 08

Does this help?

From AVG:

An "ActiveX Compatibility" registry key is a result of the "Immunize" function included in some anti-spyware programs (e.g.: "Spybot search & destroy", "Spyware blaster",...)

The key contains the same registry entries as the actual threats, thus preventing them from working correctly. Some anti-spyware programs use this method to prevent launching of the malware. Unfortunately, these parts are still detected by AVG signatures and that is why AVG marks them as infected.

To assure protection provided by AVG against these threats, it is not possible to remove such signatures from AVG virus bases.
Because of this, "Immunize" function included in above mentioned softwares is NOT compatible with AVG products.

click here

Halmer 20:40 25 Apr 08

Makes perfect sense now.

Cheers sjb.

woodchip 21:12 25 Apr 08

I did not install it as I thought you had to pay for these extras

cocteau48 22:20 25 Apr 08

I have used AVG for years with no major issues but now it looks as though it is going down the over bloated route. There are features in AVG 8.0 which I have not asked for,it has slowed down my boot-up time,and now AVG seem to be adopting the rather high handed attitude that if there are conflicts with other security programs - then get rid of the other progams - you only need AVG.
A simple effective AV program is what I am looking for and I think it is time to be looking at the alternatives.

woodchip 22:24 25 Apr 08

Like Free Avast

cocteau48 22:26 25 Apr 08

Thank you woodchip ... that was going to be my first port of call.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017