New ATX Case help

Giggle n' Bits 00:19 08 Nov 05

choosing parts for building my second self build pc but stuck on a Case. Can I ask the following

Are these Silver Metal Lian Li & Coolermaster etc type cases really desinged to be cooler because of there material & Design ?

Does anyone own any case like a Lian Li PC60 silver case and would like to give there verdict on the case for ease to build in and quality

anyone know good places around the web for honest Case reviews for this type of case please

Totally-braindead 00:59 08 Nov 05

I have no personal experience of these cases you mention but from what I have read they are designed to provide better cooling plus they are in many cases quieter than cheaper cases. The thing that has always put me off is the price of them. My PC is not excessively noisy and runs cool enough and if I was going to spend more money I'd rather spend it on something else. Have a look here and see what info they have click here

007al 01:03 08 Nov 05

i have a thermaltake soprano case.its not aluminium,but it doesnt look bad,and has good,quiet case fans with good enough cooling..£46 without psu

De Marcus™ 01:48 08 Nov 05

My case is aluminium, and it acts as one large heat spreader, under load the case is warm to touch yet cpu temp never rises above 42c, the setup is a shuttle system however, my other machine is encased in steel, and is nowhere near as efficient.

The design of the cooling system in the shuttle is quite clever in that there's only one large fan in the case, it's sits 1" above the cpu heat-pipe and is attached to the outside of the psu, which in turn is also cooled by this fan. The psu has direct contact on 4 sides with the external aluminium case, which as mentioned dissipates the heat throughout the casing.

Aluminium does help to dissipate heat a lot, however the initial cooling system is a priority if it's to do the job properly, if that's inefficient, then there's no point in paying extra for Alu.

The Lian Li PC60 is an excellent case, made by a reputable firm, renowned for performance cases. You can find what I would deem an 'honest' appraisal click here

Giggle n' Bits 11:05 08 Nov 05

I am still reading the reviews found at click here good pics also.

If I was to get a case with Front USB ports, Firewire & Front panel Audio. Would I have to use the Audio and Firewire or could I not connect the USB and leave the Audio off ?

I have seen in the a few years ago, where the Front panel Audio inside trails inside the case out to the back and plug in a Rear Audio port.

Thank you so far to Totally-braindead, 007al & De Marcus™

PaulB2005 11:12 08 Nov 05

By far and away the best case i have seen and used is this one - click here Akasa Eclipse-62 Aluminium Case.

Room for 2 x 120 mm fans, loads of space to work in, removable mobo tray, looks good, thumbscrews for the side panels and has a nice feature at the front. There is a door which opens to revel two USB ports and a PCI slot! Not for installing a Sound Card etc but to hold one of those USB / firewire / SATA port PCI adaptors so you can have the ports that are designed to fit in an empty PCI slot at the back up front! You can decide what sockets to use up front.

The case is bigger than most but i found it to be the best i have used.

Only down side is they didn't include a door to get to the air filter and you have to remove the front panel to clean it...

Totally-braindead 11:14 08 Nov 05

You can connect what you wish to the front and leave what you do not wish to connect with no problem, the only thing I have found myself is the connectors do not appear standard and you have to connect them to your motherboard manually one lead at a time, I had to trim the individual connectors apart to get them to fit. Of the cases I have seen all of them connect to the motherboard rather than to the ports at the back. The only front panel connections that I have seen that connect to the back of the case using a cable are third party add on ones, the ones built into the case just connect to the motherboard but you will need the motherboard manual to ensure you connect them correctly.

Smiler 11:24 08 Nov 05

I just built a system using the Jeantech Appollo case from PC World £60. Not Aluminium but it is quite deep giving plenty of room inside for access and ventillation. Nice big quiet fans as well. It comes with special clips for fitting drives no screws needed.

Smiler 11:25 08 Nov 05

PS have a look here
click here

Smiler 11:32 08 Nov 05

Full spec here
click here

Giggle n' Bits 00:08 12 Nov 05

I choose the Lian Li PC-60 Plus in Silver ! thanks everyone for your guidance and ideas in helping me choose, now to sort out the Graphics Card, I was tied to having a AGP but maybe a PCI Express and change my motherboard. I will refesh my other post soon.

Thanks eveyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…