New AOL connectivity service download

CurlyWhirly 23:06 20 Jan 05

I have 2 days ago downloaded and installed a new AOL connectivity service download and I am just wondering whether any other AOL members have a 2 monitors icon on the Windows taskbar saying "Status: Acquiring network address"?
However long you are online for, the network address NEVER seems to be found!
Also it says "Local Area Network" aswell!
I am wondering if it is some sort of BETA version?
I have contacted 'live help' and AOL's freephone number and I am told to just ignore the message as eventually it will go away!

Another thing that I couldn't understand was that after downloading and installing the new connectivity service, I had an XP message pop-up saying "that as I had made significant HARDWARE changes, I would have to re-activate Windows in 2 days!"
I can't really understand this as the ONLY hardware change I have made is RAM and a change of graphics card around 6 months ago!
Also the download was SOFTWARE based!
Weird to say the least!
I have now, of course, reactivated XP but the final query I have is that if I try and use System Restore to go 'back in time' to a point BEFORE the download, my Voyager ADSL modem NO longer works!
So the download MUST have made some significant changes to the operating system for this to happen!
Having said this, I have NO connection problems at this moment in time, but I am just curious if other AOL members have the same symptoms?

Finally, I would just like to say that I have NOTHING against any other forum members who use other ISP's, but with due respect, because you AREN'T on AOL, you wouldn't know the answers to my queries!
All the best CW!

CurlyWhirly 23:08 20 Jan 05

I would have to re-activate Windows in *2* days!

Typo: should read *3* days! Doh!

CHAIRLEG 23:24 20 Jan 05

CurlyWhirly
I have not yet received this update but will report any changes if at all when it arrives.The changes i have had recently are ram and new extra dvd rom so will be interested to see what happens.

CurlyWhirly 23:27 20 Jan 05

Please don't forget to post whether you have the same 'symptoms' as me as I am curious!
The download is available during December and January so your turn should be soon! LOL

pharte 23:48 20 Jan 05

I did the connectivity update some time ago and it completely screwed up my connection.

AOL eventually got me sorted but I was getting very angry when they asked me to book a session with their broadband experts and offered me either 4 days time sometime am or over a week later.

Yes you heard me right....aol were booking helpline slots weeks in advance !!!!!

I rang the helpline a good few times and waited in line to be answered after 20 mins or so by a lady who sympathised with me but had had the call diverted to her office because of the wait but unfortunately she could not help me and I would have to ring back, wait in a queue and hope not to be put through another department who cannot help and have to ring back again.

this is after choosing the proper options from the telephone menu !!!!.

I like AOL and think they provide a good service etc but when they employ fools who come up with ideas like this then it's time to fire off a few e-mails (of course I did).

as for the live help if it's black and white then they can fix it, if not then prepare to be told to reinstall everything from AOL to a full system reinstall.

this has turned into a bit of a rant at AOL but sometimes it's justified.

CurlyWhirly 23:55 20 Jan 05

I did the connectivity update some time ago and it completely screwed up my connection.

I must be one of the lucky ones as it DIDN'T screw my computer up (I have backups anyway) and my connection is brilliant (as always), but I was a bit freaked out to have to re-activate Windows XP when it is the RETAIL version (£179.99)!

Also I couldn't use System Restore as it wouldn't recognise my BT Voyager modem even after re-installing the original modem drivers!
You say that you are having a 'rant', I would rather know the FULL picture!
If I had KNOWN beforehand that I would have had to re-activate Windows and it stop me using System Restore, I probably wouldn't have downloaded it in the first place (if I had a choice!)
Sorry to hear about your recent problem.
All the best CW!

picklsey 07:07 21 Jan 05

no problems this end downloaded and running well.i don,t have anything extra in the taskbar either.hope you get it sorted.

stlucia 08:03 21 Jan 05

Not sure if it's the same thing, or connected, but in December I got a BB modem driver update from AOL. As I recall, it was quite a large file or a number of files. But anyway, my BT Voyager didn't work at all after I'd done the install, so I reinstalled the original drivers off the AOL BB disc and everything has been okay since. My OS is Win 98SE.

CurlyWhirly 09:56 21 Jan 05

Thanks to everyone who replied!
I will keep this thread open for a few days to see whether anyone has a similar situation to me!

It looks like I am in a minority on this one! lol

CurlyWhirly 19:19 21 Jan 05

Anyone else experienced unusual things happening after the new connectivity download?
If not I will close this thread!

CurlyWhirly 00:10 22 Jan 05

I have come to the conclusion that I am in a minority with this 'event' so I will close now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…