New Antivirus Protection

The Brown Rock 00:26 06 Nov 05

As I have but one `home` computer it is my intention to despense with my `Norton` antivirus protection now that my subscrirtion has expired and I have been advised of this for a month prior to expiry date.I believe i would be happy to download the `free`home version that is recommended by so many PC Advisor contributers such as `Avast`.`AVG etc
Is it essential to remove all components of `Norton` and if so how do I do this securly and completely.
Sincerely
The Brown Rock

johnnyrocker 00:47 06 Nov 05

follow norton's uninstall advice?

johnny.

Giggle n' Bits 00:48 06 Nov 05

Norton Anti-Virus also puts in Live Update & Live Reg. Leaving these are trigger updating tools so most likely will conflict with other Mfr's Software. Never a good idea to have 2 Anti-Virus progs

I would consider upgrading the Norton if its kept you happy but change if its been a problem. Its good stuff.

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:28 06 Nov 05

I have never had a problem removing Norton using the add/remove programme section of the control panel and I have removed countless versions. Just ensure that live reg and live update are second to go. Use Regseeker from click here to clean up any registry entries that have been left. You may need this page if you have a version of 2003 or earlier that is difficult to remove... click here

Personally I would go for AVG as I have used this for many years but Avast is also well recommended. There is no need for any home user to pay for AV software and paying does not necessarily provide better protection.

G

PaulB2005 12:35 06 Nov 05

If you have Norton 2004 or later click here

Us the RNAV tool in GANDALF <|:-)>'s link if it 2003 or earlier.

These tools are designed to be used after you have uninstalled Norton and clean up the bits the uninstaller missed.

The Brown Rock 01:01 09 Nov 05

With all the advise on removal of `Norton` followed with success, Add/Remove. I have now downloaded and installed AVG and it certainly looks the business - more than 2 hours to download in my case. One small problem. It will not recognise my `password to enter `free forum` I have requested as many as 4 new passwords which came via e-mail but each time it is rejected as not recognised or inactive. What's going wrong? Thanks for previous information.

Giggle n' Bits 00:05 12 Nov 05

out from the interent explorer Tools-Internet Options-Auto Complete and try again it may be picking older paswosrds up

The Brown Rock 00:03 13 Nov 05

Yes! After re-registering in which I had to change my `user-name and password I discovered that I hadn't activated properly my registeration in the first instance and as a consequence my `password` was not being recognised. I'm glad to say that all is now in order with the latest updates being automatically downloaded on connecting to the internet - which is very reassuring indeed. My thanks to all in the forum who took the time to answer my query and as usual guided me in the right direction.
The Brown Rock

Daibus 10:45 13 Nov 05

Very helpful information removing NAV 2003 as mine expires in a few months.

Cheers.

Monoux 10:48 13 Nov 05

bookmarked

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…