New AMD Athlon m/board ...

Stonechatz 14:04 11 Mar 04

... to upgrade my TINY PC socket 1 type atx m/b (450MHz) - what is a good, medium-priced m/b to go for? How can I tell if my power-supply is adequate to the new m/b?

keith-236785 14:22 11 Mar 04

to check on your power supply, you would have to open the case and look on top of the PSU, it will probably be a 235w supply as most older time/tiny cases were (i think).

this would be ok for a basic system running AMD up to about Athlon 2000XP, but if you plan to get a new graphic card/ cd rewriter/ 2nd hard drive etc then the power supply might not be good enough.

most atx boards will fit your case, the I/O plate may need changing on the back but they normally just pop out and in easy enough.

i have just built a system using an Asus A7V8X-MX motherboard £40 and was pleasantly suprised by the board, it has onboard VGA,SOUND,LAN and 4 usb 2.0 ports (and a header for two more)

open up your case, have a look and see, if you have doubts then get a new case as well (they start at around 20 quid). or if you are happy with the case you could but a bigger power supply.

okijuh 14:24 11 Mar 04

depends if yoor upgrading everything. If so i just bought a gigabyte socket A GA-7VA mobo and it's a beaut for it's price. Got it from dabs.com try them or ebuyer.

961 14:32 11 Mar 04

As paperman says a motherboard by Asus or Gigabyte to suit AMD processors socket A up to Athlon Barton 2800 or so will cost less than £50 but do buy a new case complete with PSU @ 350watts because they aren't expensive and by the time you think of a new video card and USB and all the rest it does not make sense to try to get by on 235watts

Quite honestly you will be into a different kind of memory etc etc and so it is a good idea to take your time, keep the old one going, and build a new one click here using parts based on Athlon xp 2200 - 2800. This can be done very cheaply and will produce a computer that will last for a long time and trounce all software that is available today

Gongoozler 14:39 11 Mar 04

Hi Stonechatz. First check that your motherboard is full ATX and not mATX. If the case has 4 drive bays at the front, thae it is almost certainly a full ATX one, if it only has 2 bays, it is most likely mATX and your choice of motherboards is much more limited.

The ASUS motherboard is very good quality, I have fitted the Asus A7V8X-X in a computer. This is similar to the one recommended by paperman27 but without onboard graphics, and was very impressed by the quality and ease of installation. I have also fitted 2 computers with the Syntax SV266A motherboard (also from Ebuyer). For under £25 this was also very impressive and has the advantage of using either SDRAM or DDR, but with a maximum 133MHz FSB doesn't support the fastest Athlons.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…