New addition slacking

kentylad 21:39 03 Jul 03

I have just added a pre-historic Pentium 166 to my wireless network. The computer has a Netgear wireless NIC installed which obviously gives it access to the network.

There are 2 other comps; one a laptop and the other a desktop, both of which have Linksys hardware installed.

Now the old computer is far from normal when benchmarked with the other two computers, and it seems as though the card is not working to its potential. Each is 802.11b compliant and operate at 54MBps (however the Netgear required a driver upgrade available for free from their website)

Now I have considered the possibility of adding a ferrite core to the wireless PCI card transimitter. Could this improve the cards performance?

Or is it merely that the PC is slow and affects the overall connectivity?

Regards

Nick

Despicable Desperado 21:46 03 Jul 03

Believe 802.11b is still 11mbps; 802.11g is 54mbps

kentylad 21:47 03 Jul 03

oops yeh sorry

all 802.11b i.e. 11mbps

kentylad 08:12 04 Jul 03

refresh

accord 08:33 04 Jul 03

kentylad

sorry cant help you on this but cheers for your comments on my thread last week re: wifi

i have noticed that when a thread about wifi is posted there isnt much response to it. could this be that it is too new a technology ???

hope you sort it out.

cheers

kentylad 10:45 04 Jul 03

Yeh I expect it is accord. Even some of the help desks at the hardware manufacturers are a bit rusty i.e netgear

Hope everything is sorted with your network :-)

Nick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5