New A64 Rig - K8N E and Sata problems

Phil930 22:19 23 Sep 04

i just put together the following components and all went well:
AMD 64 3200 Newcastle, Asus K8N E Deluxe, 1Gb Corsair XMS 3200 LLPT, 1 SATA Western Digital Caviar 80Gb, 1 IDE ATA 133 Maxtor 120Gb, 1 Pioneer 107D, 1 Lite on 16 DVD Rom, Creative SB2 Audigy ZS, Belkin Wireless 54 G PCI Card.

The 120GB drive has my documents on it from a previous rig whereby this was my slave drive.

The plan was to have the Sata as my System/Windows drive and leave the Maxtor as my documents drive.

On my first windows install i had not a clue about how to do the sata installation and proceeded with the format and install. all was fine,worked in windows.

Second format and install i then hit the F6 key during windows setup and installed the following two drivers from floppy:
Nvidia IDE Chipset Driver
Silicon Sata/Raid driver

this went fine and set up is now formatting and installing windows.

The thing is, how do i know this is correct as when in XP windows does not recognise the Sata drive as Sata.

My Maxtor jumper is set to mastor. as you know the sata has no jumper. on the board the sata HD is connected to the Sata 1 controller. I am not connected to one of the 4 Silicon Raid controllers.

So basically, what am i doing wrong, what am i doing right, Sata is completely new to me and i want to achieve optimal system set up.

Thanks

Phil930 23:04 23 Sep 04

installation complete, drives are as follows;

A: Floppy, C: WD C 80Gb Sata (although appearing as ata), D: Maxtor120 ATA, E: DVD R, F: DVD ROM

Two problems;
1) how do i detect if my sata drive is configured as sata and not ATA
2) Why does my sata drive have a 'safe to remove hardware' icon in the system tray. why would windows give me an option to remove my C: containg all my windows files, this makes no sense to me.

vinnyT 13:30 24 Sep 04

I don't think the 1st prob is a prob, the drive is recognised so no need to worry (I read somewhere that many sata drives are just ordinary ide((ata)) drives with a sata connection added. This may be why the drive is recognised as ata in windows). As for the 2nd, I'm sorry I don't know (still using w98).

If your pc works, just enjoy it.

Hope this helps.

JonnyTub 13:34 24 Sep 04

click here this may explain a few things

georgemac 14:48 24 Sep 04

just done a build with a sata also - windows see's it as a scsi drive - do not worry. It is working OK. I also have an ide drive installed for backup, set as master.

Well done - you got it all right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…