New 40gb PATA 2mb , 7200 RPM hard drive insalled

wilbren 19:28 17 Dec 06

IHAVE INSTALLED A NEW HARD DRIVE IN MY DELL DIMENSION 4400 COMPUTER, AND CONNECTED IT AS A SLAVE UNIT ,THE PRIMARY(original )IS DRIVE C, THE SLAVE IS DRIVE E.
THE MAIN REASON FOR THE ADDITION IS TO INSTALL MICROSOFT'S FLIGHT SIMULATOR PROGRAM,BUT THIS REQUIRES 15GB OF HARD DRIVE SPACE AND I ONLY 9GB ON MY MAIN HARD DRIVE (C). BUT WHEN I TRY AND INSTALL THE PROGRAM IT INFORMS ME THAT THIS CANNOT BE DONE AS IT WILL NOT INSTALL TO A ROOT DRIVE.I CANNOT FREE UP ANY MORE SPACE ON MY "C" DRIVE.
I AM A 75 YEAR OLD NOVICE, TRYING TO KEEP MY LITTLE GRAY CELLS GOING, CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.
WILBREN

Totally-braindead 19:34 17 Dec 06

Don't use capitals all the time please as its considered shouting and is a bit more differcult to read as well.

Regarding the game you might be stuck. Some games insist they are installed on the C drive and will not allow the game to be installed anywhere else. Most will but some won't.
I haven't this game myself so cannot comment further on that but what size is your original drive? Could you not try installing some of the programs on that onto your new drive?

I'll go see if theres anything on the MS website.

Totally-braindead 19:35 17 Dec 06

Og forgot to ask which MS flight sim is it as theres a few?

Technotiger 19:45 17 Dec 06

Hi, I have Flight Sim X installed on an external drive, works perfectly.

At the start of the Installation progress you should not just accept the usual 'Flightsim will be installed to C:/Games/ etc' but instead, click on Browse (shown at the side), then you can tell it to install on E:/Games or whatever the folder is, where the game will be installed.

I hope that makes sense - BTW (that means By The Way), I too am an oldie.

Cheers

Totally-braindead 19:46 17 Dec 06

In case its not the latest one you have heres MS support for games click here

woodchip 19:51 17 Dec 06

Just create a New Folder on the New Drive in Windows Explorer and name it after your Game. Them Custom install the game to that folder

wilbren 11:14 18 Dec 06

Thank you all for your comments on my problem.
I did not expect a responce so quickly.
The software is MS Flight Simulator X the latest version.
Main drive 'C' which has 9.53GB free space.
Second internal drive 'E' has 37.4 free space.
External drive 'F' has 76.6GB free space.this is connected to USB port.
I cannot move any more files from 'C' drive.
The programme is unlikley to be resticted to one drive ie 'C' as it gives me the choice of drives via a Browes button.I have tried each additional 'E' and 'F'drive but get the same reaction, 'Cannot install to a root drive'.
Is it the way my drives have been configured in my computer.
Hopeing for more help, and sorry for shouting.
Wilbren.

Technotiger 14:08 18 Dec 06

Hi, FSX will fit very easily onto your 'F' drive - you simply have to Browse to 'F' when you are installing the game. Make sure you change 'C' to read 'F' - every installation of new software automatically looks to install whatever it is onto the 'C' drive, but you can override that with the Browse button and then choose any other drive to install the software to, in your case for FSX this should be 'F'

Technotiger 14:15 18 Dec 06

PS - if you have FSX Deluxe, an additional good point is, that you do not need to have any discs in the DVD Drive to play the game, it plays straight from the hard-drive - but I don't know if this is the same with the non-deluxe version.

I hope you have plenty of RAM and a good CPU and Graphics card. You need a fairly powerful System to get the best out of FSX. Great game though!

Cheers.

Totally-braindead 14:49 18 Dec 06

Further to what Technotiger has said. When you have to install the game it will come up with something about where you want to install the game. The default will be something like "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Flight Sim X" all you have to do is click in the box, delete what it says and put in something like "E:\Flight Sim" or whatever else you want to call it, or just click in the box delete the C and change it to E.
Sorry if I'm being obvious, I did check it out once I knew what flight sim it was and it will install on other drives and besides Technotiger has the same flight sim installed on another drive so theres proof it will work.

wilbren 10:16 19 Dec 06

I will have to come back on this problem later,as when i went into the program i now get error '1607 unable to install installshield scripting runtime'
Things appear to be getting out of hand.
wilbren

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…