Network/Sage Slow-down possible virus

Blitzer 12:34 27 Jan 06

Hi,

Have a small network where I work, mainly used so multiple users can access and use Sage on our Sever (Just a PC dedicated for that purpose). Over the past 2-3 weeks most users have noticed, particularly when using Sage that things are at times very slow. This is not only annoying for the user but is also effecting productivity.

I'm kinda regarded as the one who know most about computers here so naturally everyone keeps turing to me. My background is basically as a hobby where computers are concerned and I'm capable of building PC's etc. and solving general problems - just to give you an idea of my own abilities! :)

My 1st thought it that the most likely cause is a virus on one or more of the computers or possibly the server. Unfortunately, no-one has listened to me in the past when I tell them we ought to have anti-virus and firewall software on each machine! Basically only one machine has anti-virus software and that is not kept upto date and it's not even the server.

If anyone has any ideas or can suggest a likely virus that may cause the network to slow down then that would be much appreciated. Kinda at a loss here with little or no time to do anything during normal working hours.

Further info...

Running the following operating systems...

2 X XP Pro (one is server)
2 X Win98 (SE I think)
3 X Win95

Also any suggestions of FREE anti-virus software to use and hwere to get it would be a great help.

Thank in advance. :)

Skyver 15:05 27 Jan 06

Technically none of the `free` AV scanners will be legal as they'll be in use in a business environment.
I'm sure you realise that if any of the machines is connected to the 'net your company is asking for trouble - surely £50 or so for a 3 machine copy of Mcafee or Norton wouldn't be too much to ask the bean-counters. Or NOD32 which many people on the forums say is the best paid-for anti virus app around.click here

Skyver 15:33 27 Jan 06

Or Stinger for a one-off scan for the most prevalent viruses - click here

Blitzer 17:27 27 Jan 06

Skyver,

Yeah found that out about AVG shortly after posting my message. The network has full time access to the net via the server which itself is connected to the modem, and as I kinda stated above the server don't have any anti virus software and I'm not even sure at this time if it is protected by the built in firewall provided by Windows XP.

Believe it or not the "bean-counters" have now provided me with two copies of Norton 2006, can't remember now if these were Internet Security or just the Antivirus s/w. Unbelieveably though they paid £50 for each copy (I think) and it looks like they are only OEM version they have been provided with, i.e. been ripped off. This is despite me already telling the MD that recently you could pick up Norton Internet Security 2006 for £25 a throw retail! The mind boggles doesn't it?

Really don't know what I'm going to do and or find when it comes to trying to find the cause of the big slow down tomorrow. Current thought is little more than install Norton on the two XP machines and perform a Windows Update on the server - done the other one already.

Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

Skyver 17:41 27 Jan 06

At least getting Norton is a step in the right direction, even if they did ignore half your advice.

One possibility is to get FProt for DOS and run it off a CDR - you're not actually installing it permanently, just doing a one off scan. Use it on the
'95/'98 machines.click here
Updates available by clicking on the left hand side of the page.
I'm not sure where you stand legally, as I said, it's a one-off scan not an `installation`, I don't speak legalese but the license mentions `you may install` etc etc and no mention of running the thing `live`.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…