Networks - what resources get shared?

kenwyn 22:50 15 Apr 05

If I set up a network so the PCs in the kids bedrooms (W98, 5 yrs old spec) have access to the files on the main household PC (WXP, up-to -date spec) will the older computers be able to access programs & files from the newer PC, in other words, will they be 'dumb' terminals, or will they still need the faster speeds/higher spec graphic cards etc, on the host PC in order for their games etc, to be played from their own PCs?

RealDopey 21:04 18 Apr 05

This sounds more like remote accessing than straight forward networking? If your playing a multi player game across our network then I think you will need better then five year old graphics to play a modern game. Or perhaps I have misunderstood what your asking?

kenwyn 22:56 18 Apr 05

for instance, I can watch high quality movie trailers on the broadband connection on the newer PC. If the older PCs are networked to it, will they harness the power of its graphics card etc, to produce the same speed/quality on their screens, or does the broadband signal just get routed straight to them, to deal with as best they can, given their older hardware?

RealDopey 11:46 19 Apr 05

will they harness the power of its graphics card etc, to produce the same speed/quality on their screens, I'm afraiad not!

or does the broadband signal just get routed straight to them, to deal with as best they can, given their older hardware? Yes this is what will happen!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…