NETWORK/INTERNET SETTINGS TRANSFER

Peants68 14:09 16 Jan 08

I have set up a new SATA hard Disk but require to transfer my network and internet setting from the old (IDE)disk. I have currently reconnected the old disk.

Could you kindly help?

I am running XP Home SP2 and have a Belkin wireless modem router. I have a laptop which is connected wirelessly to the router and works OK.

Quiller. 15:25 16 Jan 08

How do you connect with the router. Is it by cable or wirelessly?

Peants68 16:03 16 Jan 08

Wireless!

Quiller. 16:09 16 Jan 08

What make and model of adapter are you using?

Peants68 16:44 16 Jan 08

Belkin Wireless G Desktop Network Card. High Speed G 802.11g 125High Speed Mode.

Quiller. 17:05 16 Jan 08

You will have to load the drivers and software that came with the belkin card.

You will then have a single wireless monitor in the taskbar. Right click this and scan for networks.

Select your network and connect.

If the network is encrypted, you will have to enter the network key.

You should now be able to use the internet.

You can drag and drop your fav's from the old hard drive to the new one.

Peants68 17:26 16 Jan 08

Done. But the Wireless connection cannot find the Gateway or the DNS server.

Quiller. 17:33 16 Jan 08

Reboot the router

Do you have a static or a dynamic IP address?

Peants68 18:33 16 Jan 08

Rebooted to no avail. On the LAN I have a static IP address and on the WAN a static DNS Address. The wireless connection tries to connect but then comes up with no or limited connection message.

Could this be anything to do with the WEP?

It is almost impossible to access the Router set utility if that is required.

I'm at a loss!!

Quiller. 08:37 17 Jan 08

You have to put in the details of your static IP and DNS server details in the WLAN properties box. So they match the LAN settings.

If no go, disable the WEP on the router and drop the computers firewall. The routers firewall should be enable by default.

Peants68 11:52 17 Jan 08

In Wireless Network Connections, Address Type should be 'Assigned by DHCP'. It is missing.

IP Address should be 192.168.2.4. It is 169.254.218.253 and the Subnet Mask is 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0.

I cannot input the static IP address or DNS Server details.

The problem seems to be connection to the Router/Modem. How then do I access it? I have tried connecting a cable to it but no success.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…