networking.....LINKSYS Router Model BEFSR41

freefx 11:46 19 Oct 03

O/S XP Pro. Telewest Cable Modem 1Mb Broadband

Presently have two pcs networked sharing one cable modem on the internet. I am now thinking of building a third PC and eventually sharing the same internet line via a LINKSYS Router BEFSR41. Has anyone got one of these routers and easily is it to set it all up. I will initially try with the two PCs i have currently. I believe i will first of all replace my cat5 Xover cable with a patched cable, right? Do i need to give a new MAC address from the Router to my ISP? I believe that i can obtain the MAC address for my Router from their setup screen. How long does it take before i can use the new MAC once it is registered?

Any help or suggestion is welcome.

Thanks

fitshase 12:46 19 Oct 03

When you use a router, the router can "clone" the MAC address of the computer currently connected to the broadband modem.

This means that, as far as Telewest are concerned, it is still the same machine connected to the modem and not the router.

Any machine which you now connect to the router can use the internet without having to register the MAC address with Telewest.

Normally routers are very simple to set up. Follow the instructions that come with the router and you should have no problems. It should just be a case of plugging the cable modem into the router (via network cable - not USB) and then connect each computer to the router via a normal network cable (i.e., not a crossover). Run the setup program CD (which should come with the router) and that will sort everything out for you.

Regards

Fitshase

freefx 13:20 19 Oct 03

Thanks fitshase

I will certainly give it a go.

SEASHANTY 16:52 19 Oct 03

Use the Linksys BEFSR41 on my NTL 600k BB with two PC's connected to the router. Never had any trouble. This router has internal browser pages which you follow for set up. Simple to do. To avoid re-registering the MAC address of your original PC with Telewest you clone this address into the router using the internal web browser. It all works like magic and is easy to do. Go ahead - its one of the best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…