networking xp to xp

scoobydrew 19:55 01 Nov 03

Please can you help me??
I'm trying to connect my pc with my laptop using win xp pro.I have a PCI Ethernet 10/100 card in my pc and a built in one in my new laptop. I have a cable which is long enough to go from room to room etc. I use broadband internet which I use on my laptop and scanner/printer etc on my pc. the drivers have installed ok but when I go to the Network Connection menu It shows a red cross through the Local Area Connections icon saying cable unplugged. This is same for both computers.I have tries 2 cables from work where we use networks. Please advise me on what to do

flecc 19:58 01 Nov 03

If you're not using a hub you need a crossover cable. The ones from work will be straight through connections only for use with a hub, as could be your own one that you're using.

You can get crossover cables marked as such from Maplins, they're always marked as Crossover or Xover.

Rayuk 19:58 01 Nov 03

Make sure it is a crossover cable you are using.

flecc 20:00 01 Nov 03

Maplin,

click here or 0870 264 6000 or their local shops.

PC World also stock these.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…