Networking XP and Win98 Problem

cocker9 22:40 17 Aug 04

My set up is Laptop running XP Home and Desktop running Win 98.
Desktop is attached to internet (hard wired) via a modem/wireless router.
XP laptop connects to router for internet access.
I need to network the 2 machines to share files and printers.

Is this possible with the hardware I already have or do I need to purchase something else?

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get this set up? I have tried the Network Setup Wizard on the XP machine but I don’t have a floppy drive and I get a message stating that the wizard cannot find a removable storage device to save the file to. I do have a DVD/CD writer but this doesn’t seem to register.

Any help would be very much appreciated as I have been trying to sort this problem out for some time.

AndySD 22:53 17 Aug 04

click here and download the netsetup.exe that is used by windows xp save it on the 98 pc and run it there. Or do a search on your windows xp cd for this exe and run it on the 98 pc.

cocker9 23:04 17 Aug 04

Thanks for the reply
Your link to the file does not work and unfortunately the XP disk was not included with my laptop. Can you check the link?

I have just searched for the file on my hard disk and there are 2 versions of netsetup.exe - 1 in \Windows\I386 and 1 in \Windows\System32. Are either of these the right file?

AndySD 23:09 17 Aug 04

It should be the one in the I386 folder with a size of @319k

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…