Networking XP Pro PC with a 98SE PC

Scillonia 10:42 27 Aug 04

Networking XP Pro PC with a 98SE PC and sharing scanner, printer and dial up Internet connection. Both have network cards and I have a patch lead and a crossover patch lead.

Having gained a second PC this is the plan for this weekend. Can anyone help with step guide or advice, potential problems etc

All advice gratefully received.
Thanks

TomJerry 10:50 27 Aug 04
  Scillonia 11:26 27 Aug 04

Thanks interesting reading.
Is there a site that will explain the sharing via TCP/IP rather than netbeui.
May be I should add that the internet connection, scanner and printer are on the PC with XP.

Scillonia 14:44 31 Aug 04

Have managed to get PC1 (XP SP1) to see PC2 (98SE)in network neighbourhood but unable to access it. On PC2 have shared C:\ and shared a newly created folder, but unable to see these. On double clicking PC2 in network neighbourhood on PC1, it says that I should contact Administrator for PC2 as I may not have required access or some such thing.
Can not see PC1 from PC2.
Any suggestions, thanks

AndySD 15:00 31 Aug 04

Have a look at 1 & 3 click here

Scillonia 13:37 01 Sep 04

have treid this and when running floppy on PC2 it fails.

Strawballs 01:03 02 Sep 04

That is they same as I have except I use a hub and not a crossover but it should be the same. on the xp pc go to control panel > network connections then click on setup home or small office network and follow instructions you will need a floppy to run on the 98se pc. that is all I did and it worked first time.

AndySD 10:46 02 Sep 04

What firewalls are you using?

Scillonia 13:17 02 Sep 04

Strawballs, please read previous response, running floppy in PC2 (98SE) fails.

AndySD, On PC1 (XP SP1) Zone Alarm, on PC2 no firewall installed. There isn’t one with 98SE is there.

Thanks for the response

Scillonia 14:36 03 Sep 04

Thank you for your reponses, when I originaly post this I thought I had time, but since posting my world has changed somewhat, I will post back with hopefull conclusion

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…