Networking XP pro and ME

mark29 20:06 08 Jan 04

I am trying to connect two computers with a cross over cable. The XP pro machine is the main one. The ME machine can access the shaed files and printers on the XP machine but when I try to access the ME machine I keep getting an error message "\\Lizs is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the adminstrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The parameter is incorrect"

LastChip 20:32 08 Jan 04

Have you got this installed on the ME machine?

Have you shared a file or Drive on the ME machine?

Do you have any firewalls running?

mark29 20:37 08 Jan 04

Yes Lastchip I have printer and file sharing activated on the ME machine. I haven't been able to share any thing as soon as I try to access the ME machine details from the XP one I get the error message. I've turn off the firewall on the xp machine and uninstalled zone alarm from the ME one.

LastChip 20:40 08 Jan 04

Have you set a drive of file to be shared on the ME machine? In other words, something has a "hand" under it.

mark29 20:47 08 Jan 04

Yes two different printers.

LeadingMNMs 20:56 08 Jan 04

Open a command prompt on the XP machine and type "ping ipaddress" replacing IP address with the actual address. The IP address can be found by opening a command prompt on the ME machine and typing "ipconfig /all" and searching through the generated list.

Does the ping command return a result or time out ? If it times out then try deactivating any firewalls on the ME machine.

LastChip 20:56 08 Jan 04

Right click the My Network Places icon and select Properties.

Under Configuration, find TCP/IP and highlight it, select Properties. (It will also probably include your network card in the TCP/IP string).

Now look at the Bindings Tab.

Do you have both Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks ticked?

mark29 20:57 08 Jan 04

I've run the ping check and it comes back fine

LastChip 21:04 08 Jan 04

as you can see the XP machine from ME.

I suspect its a problem with the ME machine not acting as a server, which is why you cannot access it. Or, XP not allowing the ME machine to act as a server!

Try the above and do you have any security settings activated on the ME machine; passwords etc?

mark29 21:10 08 Jan 04

Yes the boxes are ticked.

LastChip 21:13 08 Jan 04

Do you have any Files or Drives shared on ME? (not printers).

If not, share one, even if you create a blank folder and share it, then try to access the machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…