Networking XP

ventanas 14:12 02 Feb 09

I bought a netbook a short while ago, and due to the low spec of these things I had no choice (if I wanted Windows) to buy one with XP.
It's pushing two years since I last used this system, and I don't even have my books on it any more as I never thought I would take this backward step.
Basically I have a BThub2.0 and three computers - Desktop with Vista Home Premium; Laptop running the same, and this thing with XP.
I always new Vista was vastly superior, and now there is no doubt at all.
All three are connected to the hub and access the internet ok. The two Vista machines can see and interact with each other perferctly, but cannot see the XP machine, and it cannot see them. I have given it the same Workgoup name as the Vista machines and so it should work.
I am obviously missing something (was there something similar to the Network and Sharing in XP, I simply can't remember)
Really I should have waited until I could get a netbook with a proper OS like Vista, but in the meantime I would be grateful for any pointers.

Taff™ 14:20 02 Feb 09

First thing is make sure that the XP machine has a user and password - Vista`s security requires it I seem to remember. You may need to do a reboot. Then put a document in the XP machines Shared Folders to see if you can see that.

ventanas 14:25 02 Feb 09

It has one user, but no password. Goes straight into Windows.
I can easily give it one and try, thanks.

Marko797 14:25 02 Feb 09

Not an expert, but when I networked XP & Vista, I had to change the Vista machine network name from the default (Workgroup) to the XP default (MS Home). XP would not go to Workgroup, but Vista went to MS Home. Not sure if this helps.

ventanas 14:29 02 Feb 09

I have changed MSHome to Workgroup.
The other way to you. Something else to try, thank you.

mimosa418 14:43 02 Feb 09

Does the firewall on your XP machine have permission to accept incomng from vista.
It should show a trusted zone something like
with a subnet

ventanas 15:22 02 Feb 09

Thank you mimosa418, I will check that as well.
Really it should not be this difficult. Networking the two Vista machines was so simple.
My fault in the end. It should have been good riddance to XP once and for all.

piddletrenthide 15:35 02 Feb 09

Just possibly this KB article may help
click here

Rahere 15:49 02 Feb 09

- good call

Strawballs 17:46 02 Feb 09

Make sure everything is switched on and run the network wizard from the control panel (not wireless wizard) on the XP machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5