networking and wlan-please please help!!!

Viv-208691 15:41 30 Mar 04

I am very confused. I have 3 computers connected to bband internet through my linksys modem/router. Is it possible to use the main pc's printer from either of the other computers or is this not possible/reccomended due to security issues??

Please help me!

Kind regards

Viv-208691 15:43 30 Mar 04

PS the pc with printer is connected to modem/router via ethernet cable, the other 2 computers (1 pc and 1 laptop) are conneted wirelessly.

Thanks

Viv-208691 15:59 30 Mar 04

please.....somebody!!??

byfordr 16:12 30 Mar 04

You should be able to do it by messing around with the permissions.

For files my computer, sharing and security (or properties, sharing)

For printers start, printers and faxes, share this printer (properties, sharing)

Of course the exact method will depend on operating system.

R

Viv-208691 16:18 30 Mar 04

umm, how exactly do i mess around with the permissions?? i went to my computer but couldnt find the 'sharing and security' bit. When i went to make a home network it recommended me not to. I have windows xp on all 3 computers

Please help

Kind regards

Gemma 16:23 30 Mar 04

click here If the click here is broken, just go to the Microsoft site, find the home page for XP home and look for file and printer sharing.

Viv-208691 16:54 30 Mar 04

Thanks, is it safe to set up a home network wirelessly though???

Viv-208691 19:31 30 Mar 04

...or should i consider xp's warning?? im a bit confused by it all...

Viv-208691 14:57 31 Mar 04

???please

recap 15:53 31 Mar 04

"is it safe to set up a home network wirelessly though???" Yes is the answer to your question.

Once you have the network set up, install the printer (if you haven't already) and right click the Printer icon and select Sharing. Click the Radio button for "Shared as" give the share a name is necessary.

To right click the printer icon go to Start/Settings/Printers.

bremner 18:13 31 Mar 04

Set up the Home Network: My Network Places > Set Up Home or small office network. Once this in done and you can see all the machines on the LAN then..

Do as recap says to install printer on one of the machines.

Then on the others go to Printers and Faxes.

Select Add Printer. Click next then choose "A network printer..." from the two options and click next.

Then choose brwose for a printer. The next window will list all installed printers, choose the one you want and follow the remaining instructions to install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…