Networking Windows XP Professional to 98 Rel.1

Gary 19:35 17 Jan 03
  Gary 19:35 17 Jan 03

I am buying a new computer running WinXP Pro and want to network it to my current computer which runs Win98 release 1. Will I be able to set up internet connection sharing using this setup or must both computers be running XP to do this?

powerless 19:43 17 Jan 03

You can.

Windows 98 and windows XP can be used together.

Grambo 20:01 17 Jan 03

I networked same spec machines using Netgear Network Starter Kit. £50 PC World. HTH

recap 20:03 17 Jan 03

Gary, any O/S's will work together whether it be Windows and Mac's or Windows 9x, 2K, Me or XP. Some have little quirks to overcome but they do work eventually.

Gary 20:33 17 Jan 03

I understand that I can network the two together. However, what I am specifically interested in is connection sharing. I am hoping to get a broadband connection in the not-too-distant future and so need to be able to share this across the network I setup.

However, I seem to remember reading that it was not possible to share an Internet connection on if any of the machines were running an older operating system than Win98 release 2. Is this the case? Will I be able to share the connection my Win XP system has with my Win98 (release1) system?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…