Networking Windows XP Home - Logon Failure

mjh65 08:46 11 Mar 05

I have a PC and a laptop, both running Windows XP Home updated to SP2 with all other MS Updates. They both run AVG Anti-virus and Zone Alarm Firewall. They are linked via an ADSL Modem Router. Now the problem: the Laptop can access files on the PC, but he PC cannot access files on the Laptop. When attempting the latter a message appears "Logon Failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer". I cannot say when this situation came about, as I tend to move files to and fro the computer from the laptop and not vica versa, but when I first set them up they could both access each other.
Research so far suggests I have some sort of security setting problem, which could be easily resolved if I was running XP Pro, but no matter what I do the laptop will not let the PC in.
I have done all the obvious:
- turned off the firewalls and even Windows Firewall
- given both computers identical user names and passwords
- put them on the same workgroup
- I've even swapped all the network hardware and reset the router a couple of times

I am sure someone else must have had this problem and overcome it, I just hope it's someone who reads this!!

Martin

howard60 09:02 11 Mar 05

first there is a network help section to this site. Second try looking at the properties of the network card. control panel - system - hardware devices - select your network card and properties then advanced. the first entry should say enabled if it does not it will not work.

mjh65 11:33 11 Mar 05

Thanks for pointing out the obvious re network forum - will post there.
Incidentally, the network adapters on both are enabled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…