Networking Windows 98SE and XP(Home)

Soy (AKA tran1) 20:14 06 Apr 03

Hi,

Just bought a Home networking Kit this morning so that My sis's PC can share my broadband and Printer. The documents in the Kit is very poor and I haven't been able to get the network to work.

I have connected up the PC's to the HUb but can't seem to get the configurations right.

I went through the XP Home network setup and at the end, made a floppy to use on the other PC. However, When the PC restarted to configure, It just keeps crashing.

The network menu's are totally different in windows 98SE than XP and I don't know what to do. I have looked on various networking sites fo advice but they don't seem to have help on my type of setup. That is with Xp and 98SE.

Can anyone help me with configuring XP and 98SE so that they see each other?

Hope you can help,
John T

Legolas 20:25 06 Apr 03

you don,t need the hub all you need is a NIC card in each machine connected with a length of crossover cable. If you have the XP disk put it in the client machine running 98 and when you run the XP disk choose "carry out additional tasks" and then "install network" or words to that effect. When the network software has been set up in both machines check that the firewall in XP has been disabled, you should now have a working network sharing files and Internet.

Soy (AKA tran1) 21:23 06 Apr 03

Have just tried with the XP disk, but it still crashes when it restarts and begins setting up the Network. I have to then press the power button.

Soy (AKA tran1) 21:38 06 Apr 03

Have worked out what is cuasing win98 to crash. Just before the Network wizard sets up, it says to connect to the internet. Problem is, the desktop doesn't show and I have no way of connecting without shutting the network wizard.

PLease help.

Legolas 21:42 06 Apr 03

I had this happen to me once or twice but eventually it would install try it a few times. A pain I know, or try running sfc on the 98 machine to see if any files need replacing.

Legolas 21:45 06 Apr 03

When setting up the network on the 98 machine you must be connected to the Internet on the host machine and all network cables plugged in.

Soy (AKA tran1) 21:45 06 Apr 03

The PC that has windows 98SE has never had an Internet connection.

Will this be a problem? A sthe setup says, that it requires an internet connection.

Legolas 21:58 06 Apr 03

No, the 98 machine does not need a connection of its own as it will be connecting via the network card through the machine running XP. The machine running XP must be on and connected to the Internet and all network cables plugged in, the network must have been set up on the XP machine then set up on the 98 machine.

Soy (AKA tran1) 22:06 06 Apr 03

I will give it a try and report back tommorrow.

billyliv 00:08 07 Apr 03

Hi, Getting to the Nitty Gritty of this Prob. 99 times out of 100 You will not be able to network ME. with XP. Some will say that they have done it but I have yet to see it. cheers, Bill

Soy (AKA tran1) 12:22 07 Apr 03

After a couple of trys and reboots the network wizard finally managed to get past the Crash stage. I am now hapily sharing folders and my sisters PC can use my Broadband connection.

Thanks again Legolas and to Billyliv.

Ps: Does my sisters machine need a firewall even though shes connecting through my machine? Her firewall failed to start.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…