Networking a Win98 Desktop and a WinXP laptop

reqpete 22:48 04 Apr 04

Can anyone advise where I can get step-by-step instructions to network a Desktop Pc running Windows 98 with a laptop dunning Windows XP Home Edition? I thought that this would be simple, but have failed over a number of weeks.
Both are used independently, and are used to access the same ISP account for Internet and e-mail, but would find it extremely useful to network them for file and resource sharing.
They both have network cards and I have the crossover Ethernet cable.
They cannot seem to see each other.
Any ideas?

hugh-265156 03:16 05 Apr 04

not sure sorry.bump ^

Rogerfredo 08:32 05 Apr 04

If you follow the networking wizard in XP you should be able to do this fairly easily.
You need to set up the XP machine first, and use a floppy disc created on this to get the wizard to work on the other pc.
If they do not "see" each other when you have done and rebooted, try turning off the XP firewall.
I use zone alarm as my firewall as I found the XP one stopped all communication between my network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…