Networking with win2k and xp pc's

Tricky 3003 21:05 14 Jun 05

Right I'm trying to add a win2k pc to my home network, which has all other pc's running xp. I have changed the network group in (control panel/system) but still i can't see any other pc's when I got to add network place.

Any ideas please/

recap 12:14 15 Jun 05

Have you used the XP network wizard disc?

Gaz 25 18:06 15 Jun 05

I wish I could post my website here, but FE wont let me - it has a network guide which would help you.

However, I'll post a section here.

Getting down to the nitty gritty of configuring a network:

Assuming the network cards are installed, unless your computer’s motherboard has onboard LAN functionality, then all you have to do is connect one end of the network cable to your PC’s Network Interface Card (NIC), and the other to the router, switch or hub. Next, power everything up.

If you’re using a router, you will need to configure this by accessing its IP address via your web browser, such as 192.168.1.1, as which is the default for Draytek routers, and then entering the factory default username and password as described in the manual. You should now be able to configure everything from the main interface. First, you must enable the security features for your Wireless LAN. Check on the underside or on a label of your PCMCIA wireless cards for the MAC ADDRESS which is a unique 12-digit hexadecimal ID to every network card, jot these down. Under security for your Wireless LAN, in your routers configuration should be MAC address filtering, enable this and enter all your MAC addresses from all your cards and confirm. Next, go to Authentication and encryption settings, and enable WEP if you are using windows 98 on any wireless clients, and WPA if you are using XP SP2, enter password’s in the provided boxes, these are called passphrases. These must be entered into the clients for them to connect to your network, this will be easy with the XP wireless network set-up wizard. Finally, for your SSID choose a name for your network other than default. Use MYHOME for example, and chose to hide this by setting SSID broadcast unchecked or the hide SSID feature checked. Remember all these passwords and keys, you will need them. For your router, you should now add the ISP settings, to allow it to connect to your ISP.

The next section now applies to wired networks and wireless:

All computers must have the same workgroup, this can be set via right click my computer > properties > Network ID > Properties > Workgroup name: “ENTER THE NAME OF YOUR NETWORK” as I said before, keep this the same on ALL computers.

Now you must assign IP addresses to all your computers, to increase performance and boot-up times.

Start > Control panel > Network & Internet connections > Network Connections > Right click: “Local Area Network Connection” > properties > and in the dialog box, highlight the “Internet Protocol [TCP/IP]” and select properties. Select use the following IP address, and use the following DNS server.

For computer 1, you should assign an IP such as: 192.168.1.2 (if you have a router, as the router is 192.168.1.1) An IP address can NEVER be the same as any other PC on the network, and it’s structure should remain the same.

For computer 2: 192.168.1.3

Computer 3: 192.168.1.4

And so on, while the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 for all of them, and the default gateway is the IP address of the computer you are sharing internet access from, or your ROUTERS IP address.

Click ok to all the boxes, and reboot all machines.

The network should now be operative, and this can be tested by: Start > Run > command > {when DOS screen appears} ping 192.168.1.3 from, computer 1, or to test your router, ping 192.168.1.1 If these show as reply from 192.168.1.1 for example, it works. If it shows: Destination Host Unreachable, something has failed.

Check all connections and settings if so. If it still fails, check all the computers have firewalls disabled for the moment, but reconfigure your firewall to allow the local network afterwards, this will be under firewall settings > local network or trusted zone.

To have computer 1 share a connection, you must first set-up Internet Connection sharing and then under default DNS server’s in the TCP/IP settings on each client, the computer with ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) enabled should have its IP added to there.

If your network is working, congratulations with your success! If not, then you may drop me an e-mail and I will reply to you. Use the ask button at the top of this page.

Gaz 25 18:07 15 Jun 05

I haven't had time to revise it. If you need any help, just click the Yellow Envelope and I will be willing to help. Otherwise, post back and someone will reply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…