networking a USB modem connection

pollpott 17:51 15 Apr 05

I have a usb modem, Talktalk, and no ethernet port.How do I set up a wireless network?

Arthur Scrimshaw 18:16 15 Apr 05

people may tell you you need a router to share your internet connection between two pcs - you don't. Buy two wireless network cards and follow the installation instructions. To share the web connection you need to enable ICS (internet connection sharing) on the host computer (the one that's connected to the web). Don't worry about this just follow the steps in this Microsoft article click here and it will all become clear.

You only need a router if you plan to connect more pc's or don't like the fact that the host pc needs to be on to use the web on the other pc.

good luck

pollpott 18:26 15 Apr 05

Thanks for the reply, the article says that this is for an ethernet broadband connection, This is not the same as a USB? Or Is it?

Arthur Scrimshaw 18:30 15 Apr 05

but I used this article to set up my wireless network and I have a USB modem as well. I'm sitting here on the second pc now (while my son is playing Counterstrike on the pc downstairs) so it works!
If you have problems post back - but I'm sure you will be ok.

pollpott 18:35 15 Apr 05

Thanks a lot. I'll give it a try and let you know.
Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…