Networking two PCs via cable

oddgeezer 10:56 19 Oct 05

Awaiting delivery of a new PC. Have an NTL broadband cable modem connected to my old PC, via USB, which will be moved to an adjoining room when replaced by the new PC. The modem also has an ethernet socket. My first concern is to link both PCs to the internet, which I assume simply means running an ethernet/TJ45 cable from the old PC to the modem. Someone told me that this would effectively create a network between the two PCs, as the cable modem would bridge the two PCs. Is this the case? Might as well if I can. I believe the old PC has on-board networking as does the new one. Running a 10 metre cable between the old PC and the modem should be fairly easy, but I get confused with "crossover", "patch" etc. What sort of cable do I need? What's "category 6 - backwards compatible with category 5?" I don't expect to add any further PCs in the foreseeable future, so going wireless would be an unnecessary extravagance for the sake of two PCs (overspent already) and the simplest solution is usually the best. Grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Oddgeezer

PaulB2005 12:41 19 Oct 05

You need a CAT 5 Cross Over cable. The CATegory 6 one will do but i suspect will be unneccessarily expensive. Connect the Modem to one PC via the USB and then run the CAT 5 Crossover Cable from one PC network port to the other PC network port.

You then need to set up Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) - click here

Note the Host PC with the modem must be on for the client PC to have an internet connection.

oddgeezer 13:55 19 Oct 05

Thanks, that's very helpful, especially the link. The old PC is only likely to be used when the new one (the host)is already in use, but it probably won't stop the arguments.

Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…