networking two pc's

trisers 19:10 14 Sep 04

I plan to network two pc's at home, one runs on '98 and the other on XP. i assume each needs a network card and suitable cable to run between them...any recommendations?
also...do i need anything else to enable the second pc (on '98) to share the broadband connection or will the networking enable this anyway?

Jeffers22 19:45 14 Sep 04

Minimum equipment needed is two NICs - any will do, a 10/100 card should be had for under a fiver - and a cross over cat 5 cable.

You will need to enable internet connection sharing - best done from XP and create a floppy from the wizard to run on the 98 machine.

Disadvantage is that you have to have the PC wiht the BB modem attached turned on to be able to access the net on the other PC.

Best way is to shell out for a router. Cat 5 cables between each piece of kit (not crossover this time). Set up is: Modem ---> Router ----> PC1 also Router ----> PC2

Disadvantage - dearer, Advantage - don't need both PCs on to access the net.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…