networking troubles(sorry)

snoresloudly 11:31 20 Apr 03

I amm currantly running a network with 2 pcs both running win ME,with the host pc using freeserve broadband I have set up the connections fine using a straight forward cable connection, both pcs see each other etc can share folders/printers etc. The problem I have been having is getting the internet connection sharing working, despite many attempts at getting it going they all fail on the client pc with dns errors. have run/rerun windows ics wizard etc. In the end the only way I get it going was to use winproxy, But this will not allow the client pc to access some games sites etc due to "being behind a proxy server" it will also not allow the client pc to run MSM. All the help sites I have looked at do no cover WIN ME and the help files are just about useless.

So can anyone point in the right direction? I would prefer not to use winproxy as it is too restrictive. If i need a router are they easy/cheap to set up?? Any help/thoughts would be gratefully received.

faintly curious 11:49 20 Apr 03

How are the IP adresses set up for the 2 systems?

snoresloudly 11:54 20 Apr 03

host address 192.168.0.2 and client 192.168.0.3 both are correctly setup to see each other, also keep getting error message on sites (this on included) that say 425 refused what does this mean?

faintly curious 13:05 20 Apr 03

The host computer should normally be configured with an IP address of 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and all client computers should be set up to 'obtain IP address automatically', they will then obtain their IP address from the host computer, which obviously then needs to be running before client PCs are started up.

I'm not familiar with Win ME, but there are instructions for setting up internet connection sharing here for Win98

<a href=" click here">

I would guess that the procdedure would be the same or very similar. Don't know what error 425 means I'm afraid.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…