networking troubles

SteevScotland 03:49 23 Jan 03
  SteevScotland 03:49 23 Jan 03

I am trying to set up a network between 2 PCs both running XP.

AS far as I can tell both cards are installed properly. The same with drivers.

When I run the network wizard in XP I am told that my "Network connections are disconnected" even when the cards are linked together with cable.

I am using 2 SIS 900 Network cards connected with Belkin cat5e Rj45 cable.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Cheers S

D-P-R 04:43 23 Jan 03

Two ethernet computers may be connected directly together using an ethernet crossover cable. A crossover cable is wired differently than a normal ethernet cable.Take a look here click here and click here

SteevScotland 13:57 23 Jan 03

So would I be unable to set up the network using the cables I have?

Cheers S

smcarlsen 14:05 23 Jan 03

Unless you have a crossover cable or ethernet hub you will be unable to network your comps together. What cable do you have? is it straight through or cross over?

SteevScotland 14:14 23 Jan 03

Not sure how to tell. The cable is a Belkin cat5e Rj45 cable.

Cheers S

scotty 14:47 23 Jan 03

click here for wiring details for crossover cable.

SteevScotland 16:02 23 Jan 03

So that would enable me to rewire my cable to work as a crossover cable?

Have you tried it? If so is it easy and does it work?

Cheers S

crimbo 16:20 23 Jan 03

I network my laptop with a built in ethernet card to my main PC which has an ethernet card i fitted, using a crossover cable, and they work fine for printing file sharing and sharing my broadband connection. (both running win XP home)

jazzypop 16:47 23 Jan 03

It is not easy to re-wire an RJ45 plug, unless you have a good crimping tool.

For a one-off job, it is better to buy a new (crossover) cable, or find a crossover adaptor. This is a small device that plugs on the end of your cable and converts it from straighthrough to crossover.

D-P-R 01:49 24 Jan 03

If you go to your local computer shop (NOT a large chain ie pc world ect) they should be able to make you a cross over cable cheaply, I have just paid £15 to have a 15mtr cable made. If you are not using a network hub you will need a cross over cable to connect them directly to each other. Have you established if your cable is a straight through or a cross over cable with the link scotty posted?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…