Networking through existing power lines

old china 13:36 05 Jul 08

We have a 3-Com wireless router. To get maximum signal, both PCs in the house are hard-wired. Now we have a third PC in the house but it's not feasible to hard-wire it, so we have to use the Wifi. The signal strength is poor is keeps dropping. I can see 2 solutions: either get an antenna as a signal booster, or get the Homeplugs to get transmission using existing power line. The latter option seems a better choice.

I'm thinking of getting the ZyXEL PL-100 Powerline Ethernet Adaptor, but from reading the reviews, it doesn't work if the equipment are connected to the mains supply via a surge-protected extension lead.

I have just recently replaced all the extension leads by the surge-protected type, and feel reluctant to revert them.

Any ideas, any one?
Thanks.

ambra4 17:36 05 Jul 08

Take a look at Netgear WGXB102 Range Extender Kit can provide you with wireless access

through any power outlet in your home, with no visible cables to interfere with your home d├ęcor

Download the pdf datasheet and take a read

click here

Where to buy

click here

dms_05 21:41 05 Jul 08

Ideally the Homeplug should be directly inserted into the wall socket. I use Homeplug and can recommend it as a much easier and more reliable method of networking than WiFi. Personally I'd plug the Homeplug in before the protected extension.

old china 22:38 06 Jul 08

I think I shall get the Hawking Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter. It seems to have lots of good reviews. I had almost given up the antennae option because the antennae on my 3-com router are not removable, but the Hawking one has USB connection, so it's ok for me.

I did think of getting a range extender, but the Hawking extender is out of stock at various places. There are the Belkin or netgear options but they don't seem to have many good reviews.

Hope I have (almost) made a good choice!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…