Networking - TCP/IP

pritch the stitch 09:21 14 Feb 05

I run my own business and I have had a working knowledge of PC's for a while but I think I have met my 'wall'. I work from my own house and from my mother-in-law's where the official office is.

At the office, I have the following: an XP desktop PC which does most of the cooking, a '98SE PC which has my admin & accounting software on it, and XP laptop (wireless connection) which is a godsend and a Brother networked MFC/fax. There is also my mother-in-law's '98SE PC on this network; we all share the broadband connection. At home we have two '98 PCs one for the kids to mismanage and one which my wife uses. These are networked - no broadband. My laptop will connect into this home network (cable connection) - usually. To try and simplify things my both my networks have the same name 'XYZ'. Was this a good idea?

I have tried to 'fix' the TCP/IP addresses on these PC's so that I can use firewalls to keep the non-business machines from looking at the business ones. So, office gateway is 192.168.0.1 [255.255.255.0], and other machines follow this. The office-site machines use between …1 and ...9 whilst the home sit ones use …10 and …11.

Problem 1. I decided that I needed to get my laptop on to the home network printer and having managed that - I now can't use pcAnywhere through my dial-up connection when I am away.

Problem 2. When I 'fix' the TCP/IP addresses on the office network, I lose the internet/email connection. My firewalls recognise all TCP/IP addresses between 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.12 (and subnets)

Problem 3. Why does the wireless connection on my laptop need a different TCP/IP address than the cable connection?

Can anyone recommend a good, simply written book with simple, practical TCP/IP networking tips?

alan227 09:42 14 Feb 05

Try this.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…