Networking solutions

frankieman 14:26 08 Jul 03

I am wanting to connect 3 or 4 PC's together through a networking system on a standard peer to peer network then maybe onto a client/server basis later. Could anyone out there give me some advice on the best network cards, hub and cabling to get at a reasonable price. I would be grateful for any answers on this query....

Psiman 16:11 08 Jul 03

4 PCI 10/100 network cards at £5 each. One 10/100 switch for £28 and say £10 for straight through cables. Selecting a switch now instead of a cheaper hub will stand you in better stead when you go client/server. click here then select system components - communication - networking

frankieman 13:42 14 Jul 03

Are you sure I need Straight through cables and not crossover cable or is that just for Hubs...

Kitz E Kat 13:50 14 Jul 03

Crossover cables are for connectiong two computers only, more than that you need a hub,or switch and straight through cables.
If the computers are going to be close together then buy lenghts , if you think they may be on seperate floors ,or at a distance, buy the clable in one length and cut it to size, buy seperate connectors and a crimping tool.
Will work much cheaper in the long run.
KItz E Kat

DOZEN 17:22 14 Jul 03

Sorry if this question has already been delt with
I have just bought a new computer with Windows xp and I would like to use my old machine with windows 98se for backup and extra storage
how do I connect them and set them up
I would like them both to be able to connect to the net via their own moden

many thanks

Tony Baker

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…