networking a scanner

silliw 21:25 14 Feb 03

Can anyone please advise if it possible to gain network access to a scanner connected to the host machine via USB. Both machines are running XP pro and I have full access to network shared drives and the host USB printer.

When I try to install the scanner software on the client machine I receive a software response that I have no twain driver loaded on the client machine.

Please advise.

AndySD 21:31 14 Feb 03

Although you can share printers, as far as I know you cannot do the same with scanners.

Gerrycan 21:42 14 Feb 03
  silliw 21:48 14 Feb 03

sorry Gerrycan I must have missed the plot, what does your link poin to????

eccomputers 22:34 14 Feb 03

why would anyone want to network a scanner? will the paper you want to scan 'fly' over to the scanner and open/close the lid? you still have to go to the scanner physically, so why not use the pc it is connected to?

Pauper 22:56 14 Feb 03

silliw, I think I can safely assume that you wish to allow someone on a networked or 'client’ pc to operate a scanner attached to a host pc without having to disturb or interrupt the person already working on the host pc which can be very irritating for them. I have up to this point believed that networking a scanner is not viable, however I have just found this link which shows that it is indeed possible with some models/software click here hopefully the information contained in the link will point you in the right direction.

eccomputers 23:58 14 Feb 03

if the scanner is operated remotely, it will interupt the persons pc that it is connected to. There is quite a stream of data that has to be taken from the scanner and sent to the remote pc. Compared to printers, scanners are like lead weights.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…